Fresenius Medical Care Holdings, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr Manager, Payroll Systems Ops
at Fresenius Medical Care Holdings, Inc.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
This position manages the systems operations function within the Payroll Operations department that is responsible for paying roughly 60,000 North America U.S. employees. The person will work closely with a team of Payroll professionals to help ensure the timely and accurate payroll processing to all employees. The position manages all payroll job scheduling and execution, foundation table maintenance, and the development and maintenance of all operations process documentation. This position is responsible for leading strategic payroll systems development and other initiatives; managing IT Quality Center system maintenance and enhancement requests; coordinating all system testing; identify opportunities for process improvement and system optimization; and conducting functional system security reviews.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the planning, scheduling, coordination, and execution of all payroll system processes in both the PeopleSoft HR/Payroll and Kronos applications. This includes all activities associated with both on-cycle and off-cycle payrolls, including third party interface processing.
- Lead and manage the execution of all payroll project initiatives, including working with the payroll management team to establish appropriate priorities. Work closely with IT to monitor the progress of all Quality Center requests and provide support and guidance to IT as needed. Identify and assign required resources and define responsibilities. Assist in the management of all enterprise-wide payroll initiatives.
- Review project documentation and deliverables to ensure they conform to process standards and meet business and operational requirements. Coordinate and assist with testing activities to ensure systems operate according to specification.
- Perform fit/gap analysis, data and process mapping, and develop functional specifications while working with IT and other functional staff on design, analysis, and implementation.
- Responsible for ensuring that all system-level parameters and definitions are setup and operating as expected.
- Back-up for the Payroll Operations Coordinator who is responsible for the execution of all payroll job scheduling and processing. Develop and maintain documentation for all payroll processing steps and procedures.
- Create and execute project work plans and revise as necessary to meet changing needs and requirements. Monitor project timelines and prepare status reports while maintaining open lines of communication with all parties.
- Oversee all payroll systems development and implementation, including installation of patches, updates, and upgrades. Manage implementation of new technology, and determine when and how to integrate changes to production.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement including cost reduction. Promote standardization and best practices across all business segments. Present business case for implementing solutions, and negotiate with outside vendors as needed.
- Evaluate and recommend optimal technology solutions. Work with IT and other department management to implement new procedures to enhance processing efficiencies.
- Apply quality improvement techniques by utilizing data measurement to identify root cause in areas where improvement is needed, and implement correction action. Conduct statistical reporting to provide feedback to management and field.
- Maintain payroll content on the HR Employee Service Center portal and Company intranet.
- Work closely with IT, HRIS, and other Payroll Management to identify and help resolve system-related issues.
- Review PeopleSoft system security to ensure that payroll users have been assigned the proper roles. Also review and approve new or revised access requests. Manage other application security as needed.
- Define Payroll Standard Operating Policies & Procedures, including documenting, implementing, and enforcing.
- Provide leadership, guidance and coaching for all direct reports to maintain an engaged and productive workforce; partnering with Human Resources on employee matters.
- Assist in responding to all internal and external audit reviews.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position may require overnight travel to various locations within the organization, and travel for meetings may also be required.
- Must be able to work as needed, including all days of the week, and must also be able to work late particularly during payroll processing weeks.
- This position reports to the Senior Director Payroll Operations.
- Incumbent will have three direct reports - one based in Waltham and two based in Nashville. Person will be expected to coach and counsel team members as needed and be able to effectively manage remotely.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, MIS or related field is preferred.
- Certified Payroll Professional Certification is a plus.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 6 – 8 years of payroll experience managing projects in a large organization. 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in a high volume and multifaceted environment is required. Ability to meet critical processing deadlines under tight time constraints.
- Must provide hands-on guidance and assistance as needed, and ensure a high level of attention to detail. Accuracy is expected, particularly with job execution.
- Exceptional communication, organization, customer service, interpersonal and analytical skills required with the ability to work effectively with third parties. Must be a team player, dedicated, and reliable. Must demonstrate a high level of confidentiality and discretion.
- PeopleSoft HR/Payroll experience is highly desirable, preferably version 9.2 or higher. Must have a behind-the-scenes working knowledge of PeopleSoft, including system tables and calendar setup. Must be knowledgeable with all payroll processing activities, including job execution. Kronos experience is also desired.
- Time management skills are required. Must be able to lead multiple projects simultaneously and assign appropriate resources as needed.
- Must have a strong systems aptitude including advanced experience with computer packages, applications and other technical tools sets
- Must have knowledge and hands-on experience in working with network drives and performing file management
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity