Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
HHMI is seeking an Administrative Assistant for one of our investigators, Dr. Tania Baker, in the Biology department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The individual will provide key administrative support exercising critical thinking and sound judgment to prioritize tasks, resolve problems, and make recommendations. This position will be 20-32 hours per week and is benefits eligible.
- Provide administrative support to Investigator/faculty member and research staff/trainees.
- Serve as a liaison between Investigator and various administrative offices.
- Serve as Investigator’s primary contact/handler for communications (phone and email inquiries) and scheduling.
- Schedule departmental and institutional committee meetings.
- Organize the schedule and travel requirements for visitors to the lab, collaborators and prospective staff and trainees.
- Make travel arrangements and submit subsequent expense reports for the Investigator. May also assist other lab members with travel related requests.
- Draft routine correspondence for Investigator as required.
- Review and edit written materials such as references, publications and manuscripts from draft form
- Maintain a database of reference letters and ensure letters are submitted and returned by specified deadline
- Assist with collecting, sorting and filing Investigator’s current and former advisee and trainee files and documents.
- Assist in preparation of grant applications and manuscripts by compiling information and documents, proofreading and formatting for submission.
- Collect and distribute mail to the Investigator and group.
- Order and maintain office supplies and equipment (fax, scanner, printers, water cooler and copy machine)
- Collect and sort documents necessary for reconciling budgets by the financial liaisons
- Bachelor’s Degree and experience in research or academic setting
- Strong computer skills, preferably Mac and Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills required
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Science background and/or knowledge of scientific terminology helpful
To learn more about our lab please visit: