Massachusetts General Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Apheresis Technician I / Phlebotomist
at Massachusetts General Hospital
GENERALSUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Underthe general supervision of the Nurse Manager, Blood Donor Center, the ApheresisTechnician I performs donorregistration, screening, whole blood collection, automated platelet andred blood cell apheresis collectionsand preparation of components from collected whole blood. Provides excellentcustomer service. Balances production, donor care and quality requirements tomeet annual blood collection goals. The Apheresis Technician I complies withall applicable state and federal regulations, as well as, hospital policies andprocedures to ensure the safety of the donor and quality of the bloodcomponents.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs any or allfacets of the Donor Center donor processes, as needed and as trainingprogresses:
- Provides appropriate donor greeting, directs donor to read educationalmaterials and complete donor card.
- Performs donor interview, obtaining accurate and complete medicalhistory information.
- Determines donor suitability utilizing donor guideline manual anddepartment reference materials.
- Performs whole blood phlebotomy and automated apheresis donations.
- Labels sample tubes and collection packs.Completes all records. Performs post-collectionhandling of products per FDA guidelines.
- Prepares components in component prep labthrough centrifugation, separation, mixing, labeling, and with accurateverification of records and data entry into computer system.
- Using Current Good Manufacturing Practices,records the results of all procedures performed.
- Performs appropriate Quality Control and PreventiveMaintenance procedures.
- Assists other donor center staff in the managementof reactions and medical emergencies.
- Maintains equipment and stocks supplies bothin-house and on the buses.
- Maintainscomplete confidentiality of donor information and records, as outlined by the MGHPrivacy/Confidentiality/HIPPA policies.
- Knows and adheres to safety/infection controltechniques.
- Provides support and education to the donors and the public.
- Exhibitsprofessionalism in attire and grooming and maintains prompt and regularattendance.
- Ability to flourish in a demandingtechnically-oriented and regimented environment.
- Ability to multi task and prioritize.
- Ability to work/participate in a team environment.
- Have or must develop exceptional phlebotomy skills.
- Assess and document vital signs and hemoglobinlevels.
- Intermediate level of skill in computer use; can perform accurate data entry, possess goodkeyboarding skills and email.
- Accuracy in spelling and punctuation imperative for donor data entry into computer.
- Ability to demonstrate respect and professionalism in allinteractions.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Read, write and comprehend English fluently to follow procedures, and to communicate with donors, hospital and laboratory staff.
- Demonstrate dependability and consistency.
- Understand basic anatomy and physiology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard safety and infection control procedures.
- Demonstrated Current Good Manufacturing Practices, SOP's and policies.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS(if applicable):
- Medical Assistant certificate or phlebotomy training desired.
- National Phlebotomy Certification desired
- CPR certificate desired.
- Must have a high school degree or a GED
- Previous patient/donor care experience or experience withina patient care or blood donor setting preferred.
- Proficiency in a second language desired.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (ifapplicable):
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
- Donor Center and component preparation lablocated within MGH main campus and on bloodmobiles.
- Staff provide owntransportation to the center, and if assigned to the bloodmobile, are thentransported to blood drive locations.
- Component processing laboratory environment,requiring loading and unloading centrifuges, separating, weighing, evaluatingthe quality of the blood products, data entry of blood and components.
- Work a variable schedule which may includeearly start times, later end times, weekends and various length shifts.
- Requires lifting objects weighing no more than25 lbs and pushing/pulling loaded supply cart.
- Requires sitting and standing for 1-2 hours.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal OpportunityEmployer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose tolead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilitiesare strongly encouraged.