Massachusetts General Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Molecular Diagnostic Tech I / 40 hours / DAY/ BWH-PATHOLOGY
at Massachusetts General Hospital
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Working quite independently, under very generalsupervision, performs a variety of routine, but sophisticated Molecularprotocols for diagnostic testing. Prepares nucleic acids from patient samples and analyzes quality andquantity. Records all proceduresperformed and results in laboratory notebooks and computer database. Interprets quality controls on molecularbiology assays. Through literaturesearches and conferences with Laboratory Director, may assist in determiningthe most suitable methodologies to be used. May develop modifications of existing techniques under direction. May assist in the orientation and training ofnew laboratory staff.
Responsibilitiesin collaboration with Technical Director and Clinical Supervisor:
- Maintains diagnostic viability of specimens received. Prepares DNA or RNA from clinical specimens which includes handling of tissues and blood samples, centrifugation, spectrophotometry, gel electrophoresis and robotic instrumentation.
- Under general supervision, performs a variety of routine, but sophisticated molecular protocols for diagnostic testing and determines whether results warrant repeating or modification. Protocols utilize a variety of molecular assays that are constantly evolving as the discipline develops, but includes PCR, RT-PCR, QRT-PCR, Hologic Invader Assay, capillary gel electrophoresis, Sanger sequencing, Pyrosequencing, multiplexed liquid bead microarray (Luminex), melt curve analysis (Lightscanner), Hologic Aptima HPV assay, Next Generation Sequencing and Mass Spectrometry.
- Accurately records all procedures and results run in laboratory. Documents and follows up with senior staff any errors or failures encountered.
- Responsible for organizing and executing entire day workload, which will vary and require adjusting to the clinical specimens obtained each day. Must work with other technologists as a team.
- Under guidance of Laboratory Supervisor and Technical Director, modifies existing protocols to improve diagnostic or experimental tests.
- Identifies problems and brings to the attention of more senior staff. Troubleshoots problems relating to routine operations of laboratory, with supervision as required.
- Interprets quality controls on molecular assays. Responsible for documentation of daily QA/QC charts for all laboratory equipment and assays.
- Performs independent literature or web searches as directed.
- May assist in orientation and training of new technologists, post-doctoral fellows and residents.
- Prepares or handles inventory of a large number of varied reagents in the lab and maintains quality control of reagents.
- Maintains and orders laboratory supplies as needed.
- Maintains laboratory equipment in proper working order, following appropriate laboratory safety protocols.
- Maintains established department policies, procedures and objectives, including the areas of quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Follows all JC National Patient Safety Goals and related BWH Pathology and Hospital Policies.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as directed.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Artsdegree in a biological/physical science required, or other qualifications asdescribed in the Federal Register, 42 CFR, Subpart M 493.1403 - 1495. Coursework in molecular biology and/or geneticshighly desired.
0-2 years experience.