Share Our Strength
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters® AmeriCorps National Direct Program
at Share Our Strength
Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters® empowers low-income families with the skills to stretch their food budgets so their children get healthy meals at home, as part of the No Kid Hungry® campaign to end childhood hunger in America. Cooking Matters serves families across the country through hands-on, six-week cooking courses; interactive grocery store tours; and mobile, online and educational tools. Participants learn to shop smarter, use nutrition information to make healthier choices, and cook delicious, affordable meals.
AmeriCorps programs provide opportunities for Americans to make an intensive commitment to service. The AmeriCorps network of local, state, and national service programs engages more than 100,000 Americans in projects around the nation each year.
Locations that are currently accepting applications for AmeriCorps members wishing to serve with Cooking Matters include:
Share Our Strength is seeking full-time AmeriCorps members to help its Cooking Matters Partners in service locations across the United States.
Cooking Matters AmeriCorps members will work with Cooking Matters Partner staff to implement effective hands-on courses and tours teaching families at risk of hunger that healthy cooking can be delicious, enjoyable-and most important-affordable. Members will:
- Coordinate Cooking Matters courses and tours at various regional locations, including managing the classroom, securing needed food and materials, and supporting volunteers and participants.
- Work to expand reach of program by partnering with community-based agencies who host Cooking Matters courses and tours for their clients.
- Recruit, train, and retain culinary, nutrition, and support volunteers who lead Cooking Matters courses and tours.
- Administer evaluation, reporting, and documentation for courses and tours.
Cooking Matters AmeriCorps members are part of local and national Cooking Matters teams and take part in all associated training and activities. AmeriCorps members will receive orientation training from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters staff as well as Cooking Matters Partner staff. Members will be part of a peer network of AmeriCorps members from around the nation and be a part of regular training opportunities including monthly webinars and two in-person retreats.
- At least 18 years of age
- High school diploma, or GED
- Interest in nutrition and/or culinary arts
- Driver's license and good driving record
- Public speaking skills
- Computer skills
- Ability to balance a variety of tasks simultaneously
- Volunteer management experience preferred
- Additional qualifications may vary by Service Location
TERMS and BENEFITS
Applications are now being accepted for service beginning on or after November 1, 2019
Full-time member term: 1,700 hours of service within a 12-month period
The full-time member will receive a living allowance of $18,250, a basic health plan, training, child care (based on income eligibility), and an AmeriCorps education award of $6,095 upon successful completion of service.
For questions about Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters AmeriCorps National Direct program, contact:
Ellen Damaschino at email@example.com
To apply, please visit the AmeriCorps Recruitment Site at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do or submit a resume and cover letter, via email, stating why you want to take part in Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters AmeriCorps program to the Cooking Matters AmeriCorps Supervisor in the Service Location you wish to serve (Cooking Matters Program currently accepting AmeriCorps applications are listed below with contact information). Equal Opportunity Employer.