Steward Health Care System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lactation Consultant-OBGYN department-24h per week-Day evening rotator-weekends as needed
at Steward Health Care System
1. Maintains current knowledge/certification.
- Pursues own professional growth and development.
- Attends continuing education programs. Obtains at least 10 contact hours per year.
2. Provides breastfeeding intervention to mother/infant based on identified patient needs by primary nurse and/or caregiver and in collaboration with them.
- Rounds on every nursing mother at least once during inpatient stay.
- Rounds on nursing babies in neonatal intensive care unit.
- Assists nursing staff with problem solving and implementation of plan of care.
- Communicates outcome of intervention to specific nursing/physician/LIP staff who initiated consult.
- Documents outcomes of intervention and follow-up plan of care in patient record.
3. Functions as a role model and provides support and development for current and new staff.
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions with staff, patients, and families.
- Communicates in a positive manner with physician and/or LIP, and consumers by sharing research findings, knowledge, and clinical expertise.
- Participates in orientation of new staff to ensure consistency in information given to parents.
- Assists in the identification of education and assistance needs of staff and breastfeeding families.
- Accesses the lactation Warm Line and refers patients with exceptional needs to the Lactation consultant.
4. Provides ongoing counseling for women who need breast feeding aids and individualized instruction regarding breast feeding problems, breast pumping, and storage of milk.
- Rounds on all breastfeeding mothers during their hospitalization to familiarize them with the services offered through the boutique.
- Reviews log book for identified breast feeding issues and follows up as needed.
- Acts as a resource person regarding breast milk pumping and storage.
- Communicates with department manager regarding status of available breast feeding equipment.
5. Assists in identifying and meeting needs of breast feeding women.
- Implements survey analysis.
6. Assists mothers with breastfeeding aids under the direction of the lactation consultant.
- Identifies problems and need for assistance.
- Initiates breast pump instructions to mothers meeting criteria for pumping, including storage of expressed breast milk.
- Communicates with lactation consultant regarding any mother or baby requiring additional assistance with lactation.
- Keeps daily stats for lactation services provided and submits to manager every Friday (telephone line, clinic appointments, consults, group attendance, class participants).
- Maintains breast pump equipment including coordinating the cleaning of pumps and location of pumps daily.
7. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job‘related hazards.
- All required safety education programs have been attended.
- Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions.
- Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed.
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by department standards.
- Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
- If manager/leader, provides for the safety of department employees.
8. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures, and correct use of protective barrier equipment.
- Ensures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures.
- Follows universal precautions.
9. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Interacts with all of the above in a considerate, helpful, and courteous manner as observed by manager and peers.
- Fosters mature professional relationships with fellow employees in a courteous, friendly manner as measured by management observation and peer input.
- Maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations.
- Maintains open communication using appropriate chain of command regarding issues.
- Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of patients, visitors, families, and fellow employees.
- Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management.
- Presents neat appearance in proper attire and identification as required by the position, department, and policy.
- Continuously displays a positive attitude within the department and across departmental lines to contribute to the overall customer service program in place at the hospital.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external) in accordance with the Steward Health Care mission and vision statements.
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
10. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter- and intradepartmentally to facilitate the unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- Participates in staff meetings as determined by nurse manager.
- Supports the hospital’s mission, policies and procedures through attendance and participation at committee meetings, if applicable.
- Utilizes automated system to communicate inter- and intradepartmentally, as appropriate.
- Completes work assignments on time/readily accepts assignments as observed by nurse manager.
- Reports to work on time and is at work as scheduled, as observed by nurse managers
11. Performs other duties as requested.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Meets performance criteria of Staff Nurse.
- Able to communicate verbally and in writing in the English language.
- Able to complete mathematical computations required for the fortification of human milk and treatment protocols.
- Possess basic computer knowledge.
- BSN required.
- Six months clinical experience preferred.
- Current licensure in Massachusetts as a Registered Nurse.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled